2.25.2013

Florida Sea Birds

I'm back from sunny St. Petersburg, Florida. My family and I had a great time
and spent a lot of time near the ocean. I managed to get some nice pictures of a few types of sea birds there. Between the sun, wind and moving birds it wasn't easy, but it was fun.



The little sandpiper above was constantly moving, making it difficult to take a picture. They have a quick funny little walk and are constantly scurrying, searching for food. They are amusing in groups, but I wasn't able to get a picture of a group.



I think this is another type of sandpiper, larger than the first two photos, with a longer beak and legs.


I did a little research to find out what the names were of some of the birds. I believe this is a Tricolor Heron.


We went on a boat ride to a barrier reef island. There were tons of sea birds at the dock where we boarded our boat. Brown Pelicans like the ones above were all over the place.


This Brown Pelican had a bead on me.



I think the Great Egret bird is very striking with it's white feathers, black legs and feet and yellow bill.


From this view it looks a bit knock-kneed.


Amazing how they can perch on one leg and not fall over on a boat bobbing in the water!


I really enjoyed taking pictures of these birds, I hope you liked looking at them!

2 comments: