5.15.2011

Going Barefoot, Adrienne Adams


Today's vintage children's book is Going Barefoot by Aileen Fisher. The illustrator, Adrienne Adams (1906-2002), is new to me and I very much like her work. Her characters are gentle, her illustrations charming and well composed. Adams worked in tempera, gouache, watercolor and crayon.

Wasn't she lovely?




Adrienne Adams grew up in Oklahoma. She moved to New York in 1929 to attend the American School of Design. She then worked in New York as a Free Lance Designer doing displays, textiles, murals and greeting cards and such. In 1935 she married John Anderson, a children's book writer. In 1942 Adams illustrated one of his books, Bag of Smoke and her career in illustrating children's books began. Dean, as she was called by her friends, had a long career as an artist, illustrator and author. She was also a teacher in a rural Oklahoma school. Illustrating over 30 books in her career, she was a runner up for the Caldecott Medal twice. First for Houses from the Sun (1960) and then for The Day We Saw the Sun Come Up (1962). In 1973 she received the Rutgers Award for overall contributions to children’s literature. 

I recently came across Going Barefoot at a Thrift Store. 






Going Barefoot
By Aileen Fisher
Illustrated by Adrienne Adams
Thomas Y. Crowell Co., 1960


Other books illustrated by Adrienne Adams:




















11 comments:

  1. Just lovely. I discovered her last year with my acquisition of "The Easter Egg Artists". "The Easter Bunny That Overslept" is also fun. I haven't seen some of these. (btw I'm a new reader and love your blog)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! I am definitely on the lookout for more of her books

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for leading me to your blog! I'm looking forward to having a good read. I wrote a paper on Australian children's picture book award winners for a Masters project. I find illustrations such an interesting reflection of culture. Thanks for commenting on my blog!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your welcome! I look forward to your comments and insight.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello! What a lovely blog you've got. I love these vintage children's books. Will definitely be on the look out for them.
    Thanks for visiting my blog, hope you come back often!

    ReplyDelete
  6. My favorites of hers are "The Halloween Party" and "A Woggle of Witches." This is great, thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your welcome, thanks for visiting!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, these are beautiful! I'd never come across Adrienne Adams either... if my math is correct, she was in her 60's and even 70's when she was doing some of her best work. An amazing story and fantastic art

    ReplyDelete
  9. I agree, her work was exceptional.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lovely work. Didn't know her name but will be watching for her work now, thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am slowing getting all of her books..

    ReplyDelete